Artemesia Vacation Rental
It’s completely invisible until you’re well up the woodland path. Then suddenly, it materializes, and you have to catch your breath. How could something so immense have been so hidden?
In the view of many, this is the finest Arts & Crafts home in America. It’s definitely the largest: 13,000+ square feet on two acres of secluded forest in the Hollywood Hills. Minutes above Paramount Studios and the W Hotel, it’s a timeless, exhilarating private world where hand-tooled mahogany paneling meets high-tech WiFi.
After an award-winning thirty-year top-to-bottom restoration — from period interiors to new mechanical and electronic systems, plus a meticulously restored landscape with original waterfalls and ponds — Artemesia is now available for you to experience on your visit to Southern California.
The estate was built in 1913, the year of the very first feature-length Hollywood film, and its effect was startling. People used to the stuffy interiors and machine-made décor of the Victorian era were taken aback by the ambience: open, natural, warmly human. Today, that’s exactly what makes Artemesia so endlessly invigorating.
A soaring view over Hollywood to the ocean
The pièce de résistance is the astonishing vista, sweeping down the canyon and across Hollywood all the way to the Pacific. At a time when glassmakers were just starting to fabricate large panes, Artemesia’s huge plate glass windows showcased the unobstructed panorama and admitted floods of light. Today, that light washes over gleaming expanses of original oak flooring that demand sliding in your socks. The vista can be seen from almost every room and an array of outdoor spaces, crowned by an astonishing 104-foot front terrace.
A world of endless welcoming spaces
The only question is which space to choose. A creamy, lattice-paneled breakfast solarium is the perfect spot for afternoon homework and family games. A breezy sleeping porch hides five pull-down Murphy beds. Tiled steps descend to a luxurious sunken Roman soaking tub. A remote cliffside patio casually flaunts its view of the Hollywood Sign — which only appeared ten years after the home was built. As you wander the wooded acres of oaks and sycamores, fleeting glimpses of wildlife flash between the trees. Somewhere, you hear the sounds of children splashing in the pool and laughter from the s’mores crowd around the fire pit.
Artemesia’s lights up in a different way for expansive dinners in a dining room that easily seats forty, or for galas in the 2,000-square-foot ballroom that opens onto the stunning Lower Terrace.
Then there’s room after room of hand-crafted beauty, every detail meticulously restored and ready to be admired again and again. Rich fumed oak and mahogany paneling. Sparkling leaded glass, including a full Louis Comfort Tiffany glass ceiling. Six massive Batchelder tile fireplaces. Original tapestry wall coverings. Coffered, medallioned and beamed ceilings. All-original light fixtures. In fact, the only structurally remodeled room is the superb gourmet kitchen, sensitively interpreted in authentic period style. A fireplace pavilion complete the compound.
There are many grand estates. Then there is Artemesia . An exquisite blend of historic beauty and modern pleasures, hidden in a forest in the heart of Los Angeles. There’s nothing else like it. And once you’ve seen it, nothing else will do.
- Bedroom 1 (Master): California King size bed with Sealy Posturepedic memory foam mattress
- Bedroom 2 (Middle East Wing): Queen/full bed
- Bedroom 3 (Middle West Wing): Queen bed with memory foam mattress
- Bedroom 4 (Maid's East Wing): Queen bed with memory foam mattress
- Bedroom 5 (Maid's West Wing): Full size bed
- Bedroom 6 (On Request): Sitting room with an additional queen sized "swing out" bed
- Bedroom 7 (On Request): Second master bedroom with California king sized bed
- Bathroom 1 (Master): Toilet, shower
- Bathroom 2 (Green bath): Toilet, shower
- Bathroom 3 (Middle): Toilet, shower
- Bathroom 4 (Maid's Wing): Toilet, shower and tub
- Bathroom 5 (Ground Level): Toilet only
- Bathroom 6 (Basement): Toilet only
- Air Conditioning
- Clothes Dryer
- Fully equipped kitchen
- DVD Player
- Pool Table
- Satellite / Cable
- Outdoor grill
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Towels Provided
- Washing Machine
- Nearest Beach is Santa Monica: 20 Miles
- Private swimming pool, heated
- Hot tub
Staff and Services
- Cook and driver (up to 4 hours a day) are included if renting full 7 bedroom estate
Staff and Services (at additional cost)
- Cook - 2 meals a day (breakfast and lunch or lunch and dinner)
- Car and driver - up to 4 hours a day
- Grocery pre-stocking
- Nearest Airport (Burbank or LAX): 10 Miles
- Nearest Train (Downtown Los Angeles): 7 Miles
- Nearest Motorway (Hollywood Freeway): 1 Mile
- Just up the street from Hollywood Boulevard, the Capital Records Building and the W Hotel
- One mile from Universal Studios
- Under an hour from Disneyland
- Head west to shop on Rodeo Drive, visit the Getty Museum, or swim in the Pacific Ocean, see Malibu, the state parks and Santa Monica
- Head east and you’re in downtown in minutes with the Disney Concert Hall, Chinatown, and Little Tokyo
- Five minutes down the road are the attractions of Sunset Boulevard and the Sunset Strip with its clubs and restaurants
- Non-smoking villa
- Sorry, no pets
- Children are welcome
Rates available upon request.
The exact location of Artemesia is not available on this map. The pin on the map below shows the approximate location of Hollywood, California:
There are currently no reviews.
There are currently no specials available for Artemesia.
California Travel Guide
Every Kind of Paradise
In no other US region can you find the tallest mountain in the lower 48 states and the lowest point in North America less than 200 miles apart. Silky sand beaches, ski-perfect mountains, the world’s tallest trees, and vast stretches of desert – not to mention Hollywood, a world unto itself – coexist in this fascinatingly varied region.
Whether you’re looking for a romantic wine tour, a sophisticated beach getaway, or a desert hideaway in the mountains, our California luxury villa rentals provide the perfect retreat for you and your loved ones to relax and soak in the beauty of your surroundings. Enjoy a dinner picnic on your private boat as you watch the sun set over the water, or unwind in your private Jacuzzi in a secluded desert estate that once served as a hideout for 1930s film stars. On a California luxury villa vacation, it’s easy to fall into the sunny West Coast mindset, where anything and everything is possible – and at least for a week or two, it’s the truth.
Learn more about California »
Villa information may change without notice and should be confirmed with our villa rental specialists.